Please notify Operations if you have any questions or concerns. We can only fix what we are told is broken, and the Operations room is staffed 24 hours to address your needs. Additionally, you will be able to call the front desk and ask to be transferred to Ops.
The following policies are in place to help create a safe and fun environment for all attendees, but do not encompass all expectations. State and Federal Laws do not stop at the convention door.
Updated: Nov 2014
Yes you do need those stinkin’ badges! We ask that you wear your con badge at all times. Please remember that a con badge will be required for entry to all convention functions, to include the ConSuite, Dealers Room, and all panels. A badge is only recognized if it has a number and is registered to you. Please do not lend your badge to anyone, as it will result in both the lender and the borrower being ejected from the convention.
Updated: Nov 2015
Without our hotel, we have no convention. Respecting the hotel’s rules and property is absolutely necessary for the health and well-being of ConFusion! The Sheraton has a few easy rules – please pay attention to them!
- No fog machines or incense anywhere in the hotel (including guest rooms).
- No Glitter, Sparkles, Confetti, Dance Floor Dust, Silly String, or Bubbles can be used on hotel property.
- You must be wearing shirt and shoes when you are public areas.
- No smoking anywhere within the hotel. There is a designated smoking area outside.
- No hanging anything on the walls without approval – you must go through Ops.
Updated: Mar 2016
ConFusion is dedicated to providing a safe space for our community to come together for a weekend. We want to make it clear that harassment of any kind is not acceptable, and if issues arise, we want to know about them. We take all complaints seriously, and will work to resolve them in an appropriate manner. If an incident occurs that you are involved in or witness to, please report it to Ops located outside of Ballroom A, so that we can investigate it and take appropriate action. This policy is in place for the protection of and applies to all persons regardless of level of attendance (guest, panelist, dealer, general).
What is Harassment:
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- offensive verbal comments [related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion]
- sexual images in public spaces
- deliberate intimidation
- stalking, following
- harassing photography or recording
- sustained disruption of talks or other events
- inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
Any person/s asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
How To Report Harassment:
- E-Mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Directly: at OPS or to any Con-Com Member. Con-Com Members have bright Red Badges. At any time, any Con-Com member can be asked and will lead the harassed directly to Ops.
What Will Happen Once a Report is Made:
- On-site Ops will work with the victim to find an appropriate solution.
- Any accused will be separated from the general attendance until resolution.
- The ConFusion Convention Committee reserves the right to expel any attendee for current and future events, without refund should they be unable to comply with this and any of the ConFusion Policies. Should you wish to contest your expulsion, you can do so by sending your complaint, in writing, to the Ann Arbor Science Fiction Association P.O. Box 8284 Ann Arbor, MI 48107.
- For a current list of expelled individuals please email: AASFA-Board@yahoogroups.com
Updated: January 2016
ConFusion is dedicated to being a welcoming environment for all attendees, regardless of ability or special needs. The Hotel and Convention Committee have planned for easy access to all events and public spaces. Additionally, ConFusion will be providing the following accommodations to help any attendees with a need. If you are in need of these services, please use them. Alternatively, if not personally needed, please be curious by leaving them open/available to others. Here are some of the most requested services that ConFusion offers:
- ConFusion supports breastfeeding mothers. Mother’s are more than welcome to feed their infants in any ConFusion space. If you would like a more private space please visit OPS to gain access to a nursing area for mothers with infants or who need to express.
- Wheelchair/Scooter accessible seating in the ConSuite/Hotel Restaurant/Panels.
- Seating for hearing/visually impaired in large programming events and the Masquerade.
- Gluten-Free items available in the ConSuite.
In addition, ConFusion has created an Accessibility Checklist with the hopes of addressing as many needs as possible. It is composed of several combined guides and attendee requests, including SFWA and MI-ADA, in an attempt to organize an inclusive and accessible event. This is a living document, if you notice we are lacking a specific service, please email Access@ConFuionSF.org.
You can download the ConFusion 2017 Accessibly Checklist HERE or at OPS on-site. PLEASE NOTE: As plans for 2018 advance we will update this checklist.
If you are an attendee with disabilities, ConFusion wants to make your experience as fun and as entertaining as possible, but there are a few limitations on what can be provided. For example:
- Programming rooms fill up quickly, and all seating is on a first-come, first- served basis, so special seating may not be available. Please read your program book and plan your days accordingly.
- Autograph sessions are always limited, so it is a good idea to make arrangements to have someone within your group save a spot for you in line.
ConFusion staff is here to help. By working together, we can make the convention experience enjoyable for everyone. If at anytime you need help with accessing part of ConFusion please let a staff member know or come to OPS. If you have any questions concerning access at ConFusion, prior to the convention start please email Access@ConFusionSF.org
Controlled & Illegal Substances:
Updated: Nov 2014
Regardless of your personal views, drugs are illegal in Michigan.
Medicinal marijuana notwithstanding, you know what could get you busted. So do we. So do the authorities. Please do us all a favor and just don’t partake.
Updated: Nov 2014
Michigan’s minimum drinking age is 21. This is not a guideline, but a law, so please don’t expect to be made an exception and please recognize that we will ask to see ID before serving. We also reserve the right to stop serving anyone who appears to have overindulged. It is our job to help provide fun, but it is also our job to help provide safety too; we appreciate your help in doing both.
If you are sharing your personal stash of alcoholic beverages, whether at a room party or while wandering about, please ensure that all recipients are of age. Anybody (or party) found allowing minors to consume alcoholic beverages will be immediately shut down. No warnings, no exceptions.
If you do consume, please do not drive. Michigan has very strict laws and a .08 BAC limit. If you have been drinking, and you need to be someplace, please contact Operations and they will do whatever is in their power to ensure that you do not have to drive while intoxicated. Please, please, do not drink and drive.
Props & Weapons:
Updated: Nov 2014
Props should be carried and posed with in a way that does not inconvenience or injure other attendees.
Bladed weapons and replica firearms are allowed at ConFusion, either as parts of costumes or as part of dealer displays. Blades that are part of costumes must be peace bonded, and can only be displayed openly when worn as part of the entire costume. Blades and/or firearms should never be carried openly by themselves in the hotel. All weapons must peace bonded at Ops by a staff member, regardless of functionality.
Replica and toy firearms are allowed, but not weapons which can actually fire any potentially damaging projectiles (or which ever could have). That means that actual pistols and rifles, BB guns, crossbows, and similar weaponry are all not allowed, even if they have been altered so that they can no longer fire – convention staff cannot take responsibility for evaluating the weapon.
Also, no weapon, whether it be a replica, toy, or anything else, can be brought to the convention if it contains gunpowder or any other explosive in ANY quantity. This means that caps for cap guns, blanks for starter pistols, bullets, or anything else with potential for explosion or fire will not be permitted.
Updated: Nov 2014
Costumes must be tasteful and cover appropriate areas of the body. This means what is illegal outside the convention is still illegal inside the convention. Also, children and teens will be about, especially during daytime hours. Keep it PG-13!
Costume items that contain or use an open flame or heating element are not allowed.
Also forbidden are any elements that could endanger or harm another person, his/her belongings, or our convention venue’s surfaces. Please be safe, sane and sensible.
BDSM & Public Lewdness:
Updated: Nov 2014
Many fans enjoy this opportunity to flaunt their leather, lace, PVC, duct tape, and other costuming choices, often with very skin presenting results. Please keep in mind, though, that “Safe, Sane, and Consensual” includes bystanders and other convention members. Please adhere to the legal regulations concerning nudity and cover the essential “bits” while in the public areas. Also, no BDSM equipment should be demonstrated in the public areas, so we ask that you get your whips, floggers, cats ‘o nine-tails, crops and other implements of BDSM fun peace bonded with purple yarn, this can be done at OPS. What you do with them in your own room is your own business, but please be aware that other con-goers did not consent to see you flogging your partner in the hallway.
All attendees are invited to attend the “Feedback Session” on Sunday to tell us what you liked and did not like. The panel is scheduled at [insert Schedule info], but please check your schedule book for the most up-to-date information.
Most importantly, have fun. Enjoy yourself and together we can have a great Con!